Backend Java Developer
- Job Type:
- £ 60000
- United Kingdom
We're looking for a Backend Java Developer to join a growing flight-free slow travel start-up who are focused on using technology to build dynamic holiday packages - travel and accommodation away from the traditional tourist trails by using trains, bikes, buses and ferries.
Founded in 2020 they have already developed the world's first slow travel engine that improves climate change & promotes sustainable travel! Their customers are those who enjoy the scenic route, taking the off-beaten paths with an emphasis on discovery, adventure and taking care of the environment through climate change!
- They're looking to hire a Backend Java Developer to join their remote team as one of the founding members of their engineering team, to work closely with the CTO and Technical Lead.
- It's an opportunity to be a founding member of a growing & well-funded start-up, with ownership and responsibility from day one, having an immediate impact on the company growth and its customers for day one!
- You’ll be responsible for;
- Building and developing our dynamic packaging technology for flight-free holidays
- Working alongside an experienced team, architect, design and develop a large, complex, and unique technical project (backed by Innovate UK)
- Working directly in our infrastructure layer, interacting with transport and accommodation providers and taking responsibility for third party API integrations
- Participating in the product development process from start to finish, from helping scope projects to measuring their success and iterating based on user feedback
- Significant experience writing high quality multi-threaded code in Java 8/11 using Spring Boot & JPA (or similar frameworks)
- Experience calling both JSON/REST and XML/SOAP APIs
- A strong mathematical and/or computer science background and passing familiarity with Travelling Salesman, Knapsack and similar computational problems
- A love for systems and an ability to think through and plan for their life cycles, edge cases, interactions, and failure modes
- An ability to balance speed of iteration and quality of code: we need to build fast without compromising reliability and usability
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to convert business requirements to code and explain complex concepts to the business
- £50-60k (depending on experience), stock options and 25 days holiday plus public holidays
- High specification laptop & tools, second screen, docking station and accessories
- Remote (work from anywhere) and flexible working with ~2 days/month in London
- Exposure to all parts of the business and countless opportunities for growth and development
- The opportunity to be part of our founding team
- Support and coaching from experienced leaders including the technical lead for Great Rail Journeys and Inn travel, and the founding CTO of Viator
Apply via the form below!